It is not easy to accommodate a history of 200 years – so this is a short account of when and where the Grigeo, AB group of companies started and its progress and growth since then – in a brief text. Moreover, the Group now consists of several companies working together. All of them have a long and interesting history, and the oldest ones have gone through many hardships over time, including world wars, occupations and nationalization. We believe that this is proof that business knowledge, flexibility and persistent work in the paper and wood processing industry is inherent to our gene pool. And not in vain, because after all, our group’s corporate history starts with the history of the Lithuanian paper industry.
- The beginning of the Grigiškės paper story dates back to the 19th century, when in 1823, paper was produced in the Kučkuriškiai paper factory for the first time in Lithuania. The establishment of the Kučkuriškiai paper factory is considered to be the birth of the Lithuanian paper industry.
- In 1834, the factory encountered its first serious competitor. Another factory was opened in a location called Popierinė at the bank of the Riešė stream. Later, this became known as the Naujieji Verkiai paper factory.
- The history of the Grigiškės factory started in 1923 when a gifted mechanic, hydraulic engineer and businessman, Grigas Kurecas, implemented his engineering designs and built his first cardboard manufacturing factory at the confluence of the Vokė and Neris rivers.
- 1940 – the Grigiškės factory was nationalized.
- 1964 – the Grigiškės factory launched a solid fibreboard production workshop. It was the first such workshop in the Baltic countries.
- 1965 – the Grigiškės factory made the first tissue products.
- 1970 – corrugated cardboard and its packaging production was launched when the Kučkuriškiai factory started to make cardboard boxes.
- 1990 – the Grigiškės State Enterprise became a private equity company.
- 1992 – on April 2, the Grigiškės paper mill became a public limited company.
- 1994 – shares of AB Grigiškės are traded on the OMX Vilnius Stock Exchange.
- 1996 – introduction of a new quality brand, GRITE, to the market. It is used for toilet paper, paper towels and paper tissue products.
- 2003 – establishment of Baltwood, UAB. It owns a sawmill and manufactures wood products.
- 2003 – purchase of a paper factory on the outskirts of Vilnius, the Naujieji Verkiai stock company, making hygienic paper and corrugated cardboard.
- 2004 – modernisation of the Baltwood, UAB manufacturing processes, opening of a new wood products workshop.
- 2007 – expansion of Grigiškės, AB and the installation of new automated packaging and corrugated cardboard manufacturing equipment.
- 2008 – after installing a new PM5 tissue paper machine, the production capacity of Grigiškės, AB increased by 3 times.
- 2010 – Klaipėdos Kartonas, AB, a regional Baltic paper industry leader, was acquired as part of the expansion of the corrugated cardboard business. Along with Klaipėdos Kartonas, AB, the cardboard production company in Ukraine that it controlled, Mena Pak, PAT, was also purchased. (The history of Grigeo Klaipėdos Kartonas, AB dates back to 1898. Mena Pak, PAT has been operating since 1938).
- 2010 – establishment of Klaipėda Recycling, UAB, engaged in the business of secondary raw materials collection and preparation for recycling.
- 2011 – Grigiškės, AB launches a modern biofuel boiler unit which supplies energy to the company and fully meets its production needs, and can also supply heat to the Grigiškės settlement.
- 2012 – Grigiškės, AB builds a new modern corrugated cardboard manufacturing plant and installs new equipment. The production capacity increases by fivefold.
- 2014 – Grigiškės, AB builds another modern biofuel boiler plant in Vilnius. Klaipėdos Kartonas, AB fully modernizes its boiler plant and integrates its current heat consumption system with the new biofuel boiler.
- 2015 – Grigiškės, AB invests in a PM6 papermaking machine meeting the latest technological standards, and the company’s production capacity is doubled.
- 2015 – Grigiškės, AB invests in the development of a corrugated cardboard production plant, and its production facilities are expanded by almost 2 times.
- 2015 – Klaipėdos Kartonas, AB invests in the expansion of honeycomb paper core production and launches a second production line for this product.
- 2015 – Since October, the group of companies has been known under its new name, GRIGEO.
- In January, 2019 Grigeo, AB transfers part of its business - corrugated cardboard production - to its subsidiary company Grigeo Packaging, UAB, established in 2009.
The Grigeo, AB group of companies is the largest group of companies in the paper industry in the Baltic countries. The group consists of 5 enterprises: Grigeo, Grigeo Packaging, UAB, AB, Grigeo Klaipėda, AB, Grigeo Baltwood, UAB, Grigeo Recycling, UAB and Mena Pak, PAT. The company currently has about 800 employees. Since 2001, Grigeo, AB has been managed by Gintautas Pangonis.